The high school teen drama 13 Reasons Why has brought suicide into everyone’s minds…
Love it or hate it, it’s provoked whole lot of opinions about the show itself and what its saying about serious issues.
Suicide is the biggest killer of guys under 40 and with more and more people reporting to have suicidal thoughts at some point in their lives, we decided to write this list to show you that suicide is NOT an option…
1. Because no matter how lonely you feel. You are not alone. We are here and you matter.
2. Because you have a bright future which may not seem so clear, but trust us – it’s there even if you can’t see it right now.
3. Because there are people who care about you deeply – don’t end your story early.
4. Because you could save somebody else’s life with what you are going through now, somebody who in years to come, feels everything you are feeling now and only the words ‘me too’ could ever reach them. Be there to say those words.
5. Because help is available and millions of people all over the world have felt how your feeling and still recovered.
6. Because no matter how it comes across in the show, it is not glamorous or mysterious, it’s devastating to those around you
7. Because you are enough and deserve to be here.
8. Because without you, something will be missing and nobody else can replace it.
9. Because there are no second chances.
10. Because you are not an accident the world needs you.
11. Because things can and do change but we have to be here to witness them.
12. Because when you hit rock bottom, the only way is up-it is always darkest before the dawn.
13. Because it’s ok to feel like you want to give up and throw in the towel in. It’s ok to want out, It’s ok to reach breaking point. It’s okay to not be okay because you are more than your sadness and these feelings just please don’t give up.
You are not alone.
Ditch the Label are here for you regardless of who you are. If you are dealing with any of the issues in this article or in 13 Reasons Why, speak to a Digital Mentor on our community who can help you; no judgement, no prejudice, just help.
In the UK, call the Samaritans on 116 123.
In the USA, call or text the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline on 988
For related material, check out: