10 Things You Should Never Say To A Plus Size Person
1. You’re not that fat!
Aww thanks for being so totally disingenuous! What a wonderful backhanded compliment! Who are you? Regina George?
2. You look nice, have you lost weight?
Actually no, I’ve gained a couple of pounds in fact. It’s probs my new eyeshadow.
3. You probably shouldn’t be eating that slice of pizza/chocolate bar/ice cream.
And you probably shouldn’t provide a real-time commentary on my eating habits. I don’t have to ask your permission to eat certain foods – plus, you don’t want me to get hangry do you? You won’t like me when I’m hangry…
4. Ugh, I feel so fat today.
Usually said by a very slim friend who has just eaten a small bowl of pasta or a panini and cannot cope with the tiny, little wheat baby that has formed inside their stomach. The repulsion you are expressing towards your temporarily carb-filled belly is making me feel really good about myself babes.
5. Do you really think you should be wearing that? It’s not very flattering on your body shape…
Do you really think you should be saying that? It’s not very flattering on your personality…
6. When are you due?
Oh, the 3rd of…never! Save yourself the awkward convo and like, never, ever assume someone is ‘with child’.
7. Oh sorry, we don’t go up to that size.
Reportedly 45% of British women are dress size 16 or more, so you might want to broaden the diversity of your stock before *cough* you business goes into administration *cough*
8. There’s just more of you to love.
This sentence creeps. Me. Out. I am not your plus-size adventure.
9. I know this really good diet – you should try it!
Please don’t assume I need ‘fixing’. I’m actually perfectly happy with my weight. *Sees people faint with shock*
10. I’m just thinking about your health!
Thanks Doc! Oh wait, you’re not my doctor? In that case, I could probably do without your amateur medical assessment.